Objective: This study evaluates the safety and efficacy of percutaneous coronary intervention in moderately and severely calcified coronary lesions, which are either not crossed or dilated using a Scoreflex balloon at nominal pressure, using single-burr rotational atherectomy (burr–artery ratio, ≤0.6) followed by scoring balloon dilatation (balloon–artery ratio, 0.9).
Methods: We retrospectively identified 144 patients with severely and moderately calcified native coronary lesions, which were either not crossed or fully opened using an appropriately sized Scoreflex balloon at nominal pressure, from a tertiary care center in India. All patients underwent rotational atherectomy. The primary endpoint was angiographic and procedural success and in-hospital clinical outcomes. The secondary endpoint was the incidence of major adverse cardiac events (MACE) at one-year clinical follow-up.
Results: The mean age of the patients was 68.75±8.37 years, and 83.33% of them were over 60 years old. Moderate calcification was present in 21.53%, and the remaining 78.47% had severe calcification. Procedural success was achieved in 139 (96.52%) patients. In-hospital death was reported in four (2.77%) patients. Multiple regression analysis revealed that in severely calcified coronary lesions, burr rotation speed and heparin dose were significantly associated with in-hospital MACE occurrence (p=0.0337).
Conclusion: A modified small-burr rotational atherectomy technique with scoring balloon angioplasty pre-dilatation is a safe and effective surgical procedure with favorable clinical outcomes for moderately and severely calcified coronary lesions.